Thursday, June 2, 2011

Wednesday out of Sydney and halfway home!

Did our laundry in the morning and finally got off the freeway. Up 385 to Scottsbluff where Trish had fun taking pictures of prairie dogs. All the time I was wishing I had my rifle. I could have entertained myself for hours.
Stopped in a little town named Mitchell and had lunch at a local cafe called the Feed Barn.


This is the cafe. I think the patrons contribute to the decor.

Outside the cafe . . .
My favorite picture of the whole trip
Only did abut 250 miles today. We can see the Rocky Mountains now!!! We stopped in a little place called Douglas, WY and found a room in a local retro frontier type motel called the Plains Motel. Clean, and much cheaper than the chain motels in Casper. The lady who checked us in was friendly and the price reasonable but the decor! Can't help but poke some fun. . .


The Plains Motel

It is now the next morning (Thursday I think) and we have just spent the night at the weirdest motel. Obviously built by a handyman decades ago, the place is different.
Note the plastic brass bed


I think my wife is going through cat withdrawals because she invited the motel cat in for a visit.
We finally found a computer to use at the local library (Trish's idea) and have a chance to update our blog and check e-mails. Pretty soon we will be off to explore downtown Douglas and maybe get a beer or three.

So today the plan is to take 59 north out of Douglas WY into the Thunder Basin National Grassland. Then we take I-90 from Gillette to Buffalo where we have reservations at the Occidental Hotel.  http://occidentalwyoming.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment